Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Twitter and Me

While I have used Twitter personally for little over a year now, we recently incorporated Twitter into my one class as a method of connecting with professional educators and other learners around the globe. We created a professional Twitter specifically for this, to keep our personal and professional lives separate. The professor has had us incorporate Twitter in many different ways so far, he has had us have discussions on the material we have read, we have even taken a quiz by the use of Twitter. Both of these are completely new concepts that I have seen used in the classroom and I feel they have both pros and cons.

Through this method of instruction I have learned in a hands on way what a Personal Learning Network and  Professional Learning Community are and how they can be utilized, both by teachers and students. Twitter has allowed me to discover as series of new methods of communicating both now as a student, and ways that as a teacher I could eventually utilize with my future students, their parents, coworkers, and other educators. Now, using Twitter could be problematic in some ways. One way being not everyone may have access to this technology or fully understand what to do with it. Another one may be that technology is not always reliable and doesn't always work when we need it to. I feel that because of this we cannot rely on Twitter alone to communicate, but we should definitely use it as a resource, both in teaching and learning.  twitter and other sites like it open so many doors and possibilities to both teachers and learners that not using it in some shape or form would be letting this resource go to waste.

7 comments:

  1. Your photo is so cute! I agree that this class is very hands on learning. I think it's great that you are learning ways to use Twitter now and also in the future. I agree with your problems of using Twitter and technology. Schools with less money may not be able to use sites like Twitter and also there is always problems with the internet and teachers may not always believe the student. You supported your opinions with great facts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love who you support even the negatives that you have with reason about why you think that. I agree that we cannot rely on twitter alone, or even technology. We need to have some old fashioned techniques such as writing a letter or picking up a phone and calling. Schools without a ton of money use this and they work out just fine in the long run. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you support both sides of the argument and that we can't just rely on one thing to communicate because technologies do fail us sometimes. And if we just use technology then we lose our important social skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you discussed how twitter can be used as a PLN and a PLC and talked about why! I also like how you talked about how Twitter does open many doors for educational purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bird is dope... And your post wasn't so bad either

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your picture and the fact that you not only point out the postivites but also the negatives. It's something that I haven't taken thought to very much because I've always used twitter but never looked at the downsides of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to say that I agree with Kyle. You supported both sides of the argument and I like that you pointed out that we shouldn't rely on Twitter for our sole means of communication. As much as I love technology, I think that our generation relies on it a little too much, and sometimes people forget the importance of a face-to-face conversation.

    ReplyDelete